From:
mike stanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2012 17:21:02 -0500
paul. windows is in control...re-boot the operating system. also may just
be a coinsidence that the on-off switch went bad around the same time you
upgraded or made changes to the pc. compacs pcs have switch problems quite
often.                                                              On Fri,
Feb 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Paul A. Shippert <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Greetings--
>

> I have an ASUS P5-B main board, an Intel Core2-Duo 2.13 GHz processor, 2GB
> OCZ P2-6400 RAM, a WD 320GB hard disk for my system drive, 2 WD 75GB hard
> disks for ancillary drives, and an eGe-Force 8600 video adapter. The board
> also has an Atheros GBit NIC built in. All of the above have the latest
> drivers for x64 installed, as does the built-in SoundMAX HD audio system,
> however; I still cannot get the computer to completely power off. What
> other steps should I take?
>

> This was a clean install of Win7 that I immediately updated from MS.  I
> then searched for, and installed, drivers for the motherboard, chipset,
> NIC, video adapter, and audio system with the correct or nearest to correct
> (read Vista x64) drivers, yet I must still use the work-around of clicking
> "Restart", then waiting until the hardware goes through its start-up and
> pushing the main power button.  All BIOS/CMOS settings that may be relevant
> I believe I have set to the correct parameters, including memory voltage
> and speed, but no changes there have had any effect.
>

> Has anyone else had a similar problem, or offer any suggestions regarding
> something I haven't tried?
>

> Thank-you.
>

> Paul A. Shippert
>
> School Librarian
>
> Margaret Brent Middle School
>
>              The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                         support at our website:
>                          http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml