From:
Bob Chapel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:06:07 -0500
John,

There is a lot you haven't mentioned so it's hard to answer your question.
Two Big issues are 1.What configuration are you required to have for the
Cable Co....DNS enabled or Disabled?....What protocol are you using for the
machines that that you want to "see" each other.  If you are using a Cable
Router your best choice is to enable DHCP and allow the router to assign IP
addresses to the machines....IP is a routable protocol and if you have set
all your other parameters up correctly they should see each other....can you
ping the other machine??.....is IP functional on either of the machines for
sure??....ie...are you making a connection to your cable provider
reliably??....can both machines ping the router??....can both do a
tracert??....if these are things you are not familiar with I'm sorry but
they help to establish if your network configuration and hardware is
functional....If you have a crossover cable you could try attaching each
machine to each other and excluding the router.....if they see each other
you'll know that your problem is likely with the router
configuration........  sorry if this makes too little sense....If I knew it
much better myself I could probably explain it better as well.

Best,
Bob Chapel
that they can share resources. I've added each machine to a Workgroup but