From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:59:02 -0500
Hi,

Personally for just compatibility reasons alone, I would stay with the
Intel P4 or Intel Celeron (socket N) processor over the AMD.

I know lots of people use, and like the AMD, but I think that for the money
spent, I'd prefer less "issues"
by staying with the Intel side.  The intel chips are internally thermally
protected where most of the AMD chips are not.

At the Distributor I work for, we sell pretty close to 50/50 AMD vs Intel
CPU's and Processors, and based on the RMA and tech support calls, the
AMD's have 4 to 1 issues over Intel product.

Best buy had a nice promo yesterday - $749 for intel Celeron
1.6/256/20gig/dvd/CDRW combo unit and XP - after rebate.

Personally - go for a toshiba, sony, or fitjitsu, notebook and stay away
from the HP and Compaq's = I see to many HP & Compaqs offered as
refurbuished on the secondary market.

At 09:33 AM 02/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I am in the market for a laptop with a processor of 1.6Ghz or faster.
>
>It will mostly be used for word processing and spreadsheets.
>
>I may choose to watch a DVD or play an MP3 when on the road.
>
>Can you outline the pros and cons of the P4 vs the celeron vs the athlon
>processor for my purposes.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>George G. Helm
>
>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                     visit our download web page at:
>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

God Bless America!

Joe Lore