From:
Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:14:12 -0400
Dean Kukral wrote:
> Please be aware that PC's are undergoing a change right now, so that
> compatability is an issue.
>
> The latest motherboards are PCI Express ones.  This means that they take
> PCIe video cards, not AGP cards.  Also, they require a PCI Express power
> supply (24 pins), which - using an adapter - is backward compatable.  I
> don't **think** that the older power supplies (20 pin) can be used with the
> newer motherboards.

It's about 50-50 from experience.  Whether or not you can use a 24-20
pin adapter (BA20019 from MWave) to connect an old PSU depends on the
specifications.  A lot of the older ATX PSUs don't supply enough
amperage on the +12V rail to drive a newer motherboard.  Modern PSUs
provide two or three 12V rails, each with 10+ amps.

(You'll definitely need the full amperage if the system is loaded down
with extra components like heavy-duty video cards or multiple hard
drives.  Or a power-hungry CPU from the upper-end of the range.)

Now for the technical stuff...

I built an AMD Athlon64 3000+ 939 system using the ASUS A8N-VM CSM
motherboard, 1GB of RAM, CD-ROM and 80GB HD.  In it, I attempted to
re-use an older 300W ATX PSU.  The amperages for the various rails were
+3.3V 28A +5V 30A +12V 15A +5Vsb 2A -5V 0.3A -12V 0.8A.  The +12V 15A
rail was borderline for driving a more modern system, but since I was
putting only a Athlon64 3000+ in with a single hard drive it was worth a
shot.

The system ran fine all week as I put it through stress tests at my home
office.  It even worked for the first day at the installation site.  But
after being on the flaky power (local power company issues) for a few
hours it stopped booting up.  Case fans would spin, but the CPU wouldn't
spin up.  I went down to the local CompUSA and replaced it with a brand
new Antec 430W TruePower and the machine has been running fine ever since.

More modern PSUs have +12V amperages in the range of 20-30A, split
between 2 or 3 rails (10-15A per rail).  I suspect that the Antec
TruePower 430W that I have in my parts pile with +12V 18A will probably
not work, while the +12V 24A unit (also a TruePower 430W) will work with
a 24-20 pin adapter.

(Ask me at the end of September whether those spare parts worked on
newer motherboards...  I won't be building those systems out until early
September.)

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>