From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:31:23 -0600
From: Peter Ramins :Subject: [PCBUILD] Update on Ghost Soudcard

> A few weeks ago, and a few weeks before that, I wrote this list about my
> problems with a Creative SB Live! soundcard simply not "existing" while
> installed in my 200 mmx. (This happened suddenly, after installing a
modem,
> but the card will work in OTHER machines.)
>
> I detailed how I had tried to change the card to a different PCI slot, how
> had removed ALL cards except the video card, rebooted, and then
reinstalled
> just the soundcard, to no avail.
>
> I tried many different variations in the BIOS's peripheral set up screen,
> letting BIOS handle it automagically, trying it manually, etc.
>
> I need to stress that this isn't a Windows not seeing the card problem,
this
> is a BIOS not seeing the card problem. At boot the Award BIOS lists all
the
> cards that are installed (except, to my chagrin, the soundcard of course)
> and back when the Creative was listed, Windows would see and make use of
it.
> Now that it's not, of course Windows is sure it is an abused sound less
OS.

> Things I have tried since then. -
> -Tried getting latest bios update from Azza and patching.
> -Tried having near fatal hard disk crash, losing most of the data, and
> installing a *CLEAN* copy of Win98SE. (Ok, that one was sort of forced on
> me, I admit.)
> -Contacted both Creative's and Azza's tech support departments, both were
> less than stellar helpers. As you can guess, each said to check with the
> other, or assumed it was a driver problem. I'm having a hard time
convincing
> either that it's not a driver problem.
> -In a non-denominational sort of way, smeared myself with paste and burned
> an I-Mac in effigy. (Thanks Bill Watterson, of Calvin and Hobbes fame.)
>
> None of this has worked, and I'm totally lost. Right now I really can't go
> out and buy a new motherboard, processor, case, and several sticks of
> PC-100, much as I would like to.
>
> Does anyone have ANY more ideas not involving driver issues? The copy of
> 98SE on there has never had a sound card driver set installed, because no
> soundcard has autodetected. (Which the creative SHOULD do, if BIOS would
> recognize it.)
>
> -Peter Ramins

Peter,

I did have the same problem as you did when I installed a network card.
Even the bios could not find the SB Live card.  I may have been luckier then
you have been as I was able to move the card to a different PCI slot and get
it recognized by the bios again.  I had uninstalled the drivers and made
sure that there were no references to the card in the registry.  I had 4
slots to work with and i believe that I had read a message that the SB live
likes to be near the first slot if it can be.  It is now working in the
first PCI slot as I have an AGP video card.  It shares the IRQ with the
video card.  If moving the card to different PCI slots does not get it
recognized by the Bios then I would try to return it to the manufacturer if
it is still under warranty.  Good Luck

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org