From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:28:31 -0000
--

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 22:52:40   Terry Bell wrote:
>Don't judge too quickly!
>Go to Dialup Networking Properties/General/Configure/Maximum Speed=? Some
>isp's require you to downgrade the top speeds to match their end.

     Are you sure about this? I have NEVER heard of an ISP requiring this today, there are better ways to restrict top speeds.

>Also see:Connection/Advanced/Extra Settings=? Some modems & some isp's
>require a code string to be typed in here. It varies by modem and isp.

     It's not a "code", to say so would imply it is something for security. Very few ISP's do require modification of some of the settings of the modem, although most of the time it is more for them than you. Personally I can no longer think of a reason an ISP would want to put something special here. I for one put something myself, that being the string S11=37, this adjusts the inter character timing of the digits dialed, making dial MUCH faster. If WIN95 has properly recognized your modem, no modification should be required. Of course, if you're not talking about win9x the whole story changes.

>Also go to: Server Types/Allowed Network Protocols=? Just check TCP/IP for
>internet use. Other boxes should be nulled. Also see if the TCP/IP settings
>are identical between the two modems you are comparing. Then MAYBE make a
>judgement call.

     This is true, some incoming RAS connections choke if you specify more than TCP. Most don't, however what you should worry about is that if you do have IPX or netBeui (sp?) enabled, and sharing enabled, it is conceivable others on the same ISP could see your network drives, remote but it has been known to happen. TTYL

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html