From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 23:39:38 -0400
Larry,

I think you have that backwards.
The digital yields precision and accuracy while
the analog shows "real time" fluctuations.

I too cut my teeth on a Simpson 260, but in that era,
"electronics" was transistors and 1/4 watt carbon wound
resistors with 10% (and worse) tolerances.

The usefulness and accuracy of the venerable 260
waned rapidly after the advent of laser trimmed
resistors with 1% (and better) precision.  It was soon
replaced by the FET VOM, which in turn was replaced
by the DVM.

With that said.....
I still carry an old Triplett FET right next to my Fluke.
Because as you pointed out, there are still __some__
(or maybe I sould say __a few__) cases where
analog is the better tool.

It just depends on the D.U.T. and the type of problem.

In the mid-seventies I worked on industrial systems
that employed Emitter Coupled Logic.  Only a 'scope
with a memory was fast enough to deal with  ECL.

Jim Meagher