From:
Undetermined origin c/o LISTSERV administrator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:31:52 -0500
Steve Dias wrote:

> I'm about to begin building a PC for a friend. It'll be an AMD XP processor
> on an ATX mobo, and will be strictly for home use. It will have only one
> hard drive, floppy, and a CDRW drive, with a possible upgrade to DVD in the
> future. The only catch is that he wants a Desktop style case to fit into his
> existing furniture setup.
> Are there any desktop cases that are approved for this AMD chip? I
> understand the AMD's need for cooling and power requirements, but have heard
> these XP chips consume a little less power. Will a 250 or 300 watt power
> supply be sufficient?
> Thanks for any input and recommendations.
>
> Steve

Steve:
AMD is very fussy about power supplies, and only approves a few power
supplies by manufacturer and model number. They have a list on their
website; check it out at www.amd.com. IIRC, you're going to need a 300
to 400 watt supply.

One of the main concerns with Athlon systems is that they do get hot,
and cooling is very important. It could be troublesome in some furniture
-- those things are designed to look good, and not to promote good heat
transfer. There are some excellent white papers at the AMD site about
cooling; there's also an excellent paper on the topic at www.amdmb.com
under the title "General Fan Performance Guide" by Dave Smith.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com