From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:07:27 -0500
**if**  the NIC has a boot PROM installed it will boot from the card
instead of from a disk.

A boot PROM is a complete bootstrap O/S that will connect the PC to the
network so that the PC can finish downloading and boot the O/S from the
network.  This technique allows the MIS department to purchase cheap PCs
because no hard drive or floppy drives are needed.  It is also a form of
security, since without a floppy drive, no one can copy data/programs to
disk and "steal" them.

Since you have both floppy and hard drive, you probably do not have a PROM
on the NIC, but it never hurts to look.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====