From:
Al Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:07:21 -0800
Considering the unexpected response, I've decided it's just easier to post this to the list. Keep in mind that I
personally did not follow the instructions exactly, yet still managed some excellent results. Your results may
vary.

Al Thompson

    As for the faint printing , sooner or later any Epson Ink Jet Printer is
going to do what you are experiencing .  Several Nozzle checks & multiple
cleanings are usually enough to get it back to normal .
    Installing a Epson New Cartridge is just wasting ink  ( If the old tank
had ink left )
    Rubbing Alcohol now is your best friend .  I get a small bottle of 91%
Isopropyl from Eckerd Drug store.
    In the bottom of the Cartridge carrier are little hollow needles that
puncture the bottom of the tank and transfer the ink to the heads. The
passage is very small , microscopic in fact , that's how it gets its name of
Micro ink dots (Back when Cannon made the first one )
--
    If nozzle checks & Cleaning didn't do the trick , we go to heavy
maintenance.
    You will get dirty hands doing this , so you can wear surgeons gloves  ,
or glad wrap sandwich bags , or just wash your hands and rub them well with
a hand cleaner before proceeding.
     Press the paper feed button for three seconds and the tanks will move
to the change location .Take out the ink tanks .
    Put scotch tape over the bottom holes so the ink doesn't dry out or leak
out.
    If you have a can of WD40 or other type of spray lubricant , borrow the
tweety .  That's the plastic spray tube that plugs in the spray tip.  Slide
that tip in the Alcohol letting it get a supply up in the tube .  Just pour
some in a deep lid , that will be enough in the tube .  Hold your finger
over the end of the tube so the Alcohol doesn't drip out.
Locate a Needle in the bottom of the ink cartridge carriage .  (( Three in
Color , one in Black side ))  Slide the tube over the needle & let the
liquid go.  Do all the needles .
     While you are waiting , get some Q-tips & start sopping up the excess
alcohol  (& Ink )
    You should be working on a pile of newspapers with a paper plate or
something to put your used stuff in .  It's going to be messy , but worth it
later . You can repeat this procedure every five minutes or so .
---
    Now for the part considered critical .  If you have a can of silicone
spray with a Tweety tube on it , or even a can of compressed air;  we use
this to blow thru the Needles . ( I use canned Endust for Electronics  that
I get at Office Max ))  My Endust Tweety fits perfectly over the needles .
Slide the tweety down on a needle and give it a shot . Do all needles .
    Don't spray yourself in the face !!!
-
    Get the first Tweety ; load the needles with alcohol .  With a lint free
cloth (Used T-shirt sleeve or underwear ( OLD) )) clean up the mess in the
Ink Cartridge Carriage . And elsewhere if you were sloppy .  Go wash your
hands , you don't want the ink to get all over the Printer cabinet.
    Turn the ink cartridges over , remove the scotch tape .  Take the tweety
& put a drop of alcohol in each opening , if it disappears in the hole put
in another .  This is going to go thru the needles first & finish the
cleaning job.
    Install the Cartridges .
    Turn on the power , press the load button , the tanks will go Home ,
don't impede their travel .
    I don't remember , but I think I had to actually pull the power cord
from the power strip in the first step , to keep the tanks in the center
position , so I could set the printer down on  some papers on a protected
desk top .  (( You'll have to do what you think best in this regard . ))
    You can print some test pages , the first examples will be splotchy
because of the alcohol feed , but should become normal .
    I have done this process on three different Models of Epson printers
with success .