From:
Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 01:24:27 -0400
The problem with Creative products is that they never bothered to update the
software for many of their older devices for ME compatibility, they just
came out with a new model of the product and made that ME compatible, or if
the device was a more expensive one, as in their SoundBlaster sound cards
line (specifically from SB Live Value and up) they eventually came out with
updates for ME. Anything older than the SB Live Value card never had an ME
update.
However, ME would have had to install its own drivers in order for the modem
to work at all, and as a result your modem may have been recognized as
something completely different than what it actually is. For example, before
I went to cable internet I used an AOpen 56K speakerphone/Data/Fax modem,
but after installing ME it was recognized as a HFC Internal 56K modem, which
I believe is Rockwell because the chipset on the AOpen modem is from
Rockwell, and only recently did I find the update for ME at the AOpen site
and once I installed it the modem was recognized as the AOpen, but even when
it was installed as just the HFC modem, it still worked normally, I was
connecting at speeds between 47000-53000, the same as when it was recognized
as the AOpen. This is why I don't buy that lame excuse that ISP techies are
trained to give when their users call for support because they keep getting
disconnected. As far as I'm concerned it is just a way to get rid of the
user as fast as possible so that they can move on to the next one. You'd
actually think that these guys are working on commission.....LOL!