From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:31:55 -0500
-----Original Message Quoted Below-------
Date:    Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:07:16 +0300
From:    Oleg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: PCBUILD Digest - 19 Feb 2008 to 20 Feb 2008 (#2008-47)

Windows XP has RAM limitation.
If you would like to make use of all 4 Gb RAM, please install Vista.
--
Oleg

-----End Quotation--------

Actually, I believe this is just a cosmetic change with the 32-bit version
of Vista.  MS appears to be heading off customers' concerns that their
memory wasn't working properly, since less than the full amount installed
was being reported when 4GB of were installed.  However, the same issue of
some of the 4GB memory space being reserved for mapping I/O addresses is
still taking place.  As others have noted, you'll need a 64-bit operating
system (XP or Vista) in order to make full use of 4GB (or more) of physical
memory.

Additionally, this fix appears to address issues where an onboard video
solution, for example, reserves some of the system memory for its use, which
can also result in it appearing that less than the full amount of installed
memory is present.

See this MS Knowledge Base Article for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946003/en-us

I hope this is helpful.

John Sproule

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads