From:
Dennis Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:39:17 -0500
Hello All,

I just had a hard drive crash. Last night I installed a new one and set up
XP Professional from scratch. I managed to save the files I needed from the
old drive. When I set up Outlook Express, I imported all my folders with all
my email intact. I have a folder called Keepers that I put messages in that
I want to save. Here's where it starts to get strange.

This morning I noticed a message in Keepers that was from
[log in to unmask] with the subject "Your account information has been
changed". It has a received date of 11/19/2005 12:27 AM. I was online at
that time, but I never received an email message from Starband. I do have a
Starband account at work, and this message is addressed to my Starband
account address, but I did not set up the Starband account at home.

What's even stranger is when I open it, the receive date is the current date
and time. If I close it and re-open it 5 minutes later, it will update with
the current time once again, not the original receive date and time. If I
right-click on the message and choose Properties, the sent and receive date
are both the current date and time.

I'm totally baffled...I've never seen this behavior before. I scanned with
AVG and it found nothing. It appears to be just a plain text message with no
attachments. It starts out with:

Dear user, Your administrator has changed the status of the following
messaging features: Offline E-mail Access: The status has changed to
enabled.

And then it proceeds to tell me how to configure Outlook Express for offline
access. I can paste the whole message and submit it to the list if anyone
thinks it's important.

How can a message show up on a computer that was just set up from scratch on
a new hard drive, on an email account that hasn't been set up on the
computer? If it was in the Keepers folder before, then it must have gotten
imported when I did the import. But how/why does it keep updating the
current time when it is opened?

If this was posted by another list member and I was reading it, I would say
it's impossible and they're crazy. Has anyone ever seen anything similar?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Dennis Thiel

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads