From:
Kenneth P Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 20:25:29 -0800
I'm trying to troubleshoot a WinXP system that's run fine for a while
now, but recently it's become a nightmare.  The CD drive has become
inoperable, and the system constantly freezes, even as little as 30
seconds after booting.  The problem is certainly hardware, as it will
freeze even in the BIOS setup screen.  Suspecting heat, I added another
fan to the case, even though the temperature readings I'm getting are
fine for the system, but that has proven ineffective.  The only other
thing I can think of to mention is that the system runs perfectly fine
if the side panel of the case is removed.  This is what made me suspect
heat in the first place, though as I said, the temperature readings are
just fine (75-85 degrees F for early crashes).  A few system specs, for
those who might want them:
OS: Windows XP Professional
Motherboard: Soyo K7-VTA PRO
CPU: AMD Athlon 800MHz
I'd appreciate any help; I hate it when systems I built don't work. :-S
Thank you,
            Ken Walter