From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 00:57:49 -0400
At 10:59 AM 7/10/1998  Jim Meagher  recommends:

>Anything more than a voltmeter and diagnostic software would
>be a wasted investment.
>
>Fluke DMMs are absolutely the top of the line.  I don't foresee
>the need to do more than test the output of the power supply, so
>a low-end Fluke would be more than suitable.

>"Check-Up for Windows 95" and "W95CHECK.EXE". . .
>First Aid and Nuts&Bolts for diagnostics and testing. . .

Jim:

Thanks for your recommendations. I have a Fluke too.
I agree, the Flukes are great, simple and durable, and
easier to use than the non-autosensing Tektronics
(which are good) that we use in the labs now.

I am thinking POST cards and oscilloscopes would be
useful, anyway, since we would rather cannibalize a
marginal PC than put it into circulation, hoping it will
outlive its warranty. I guess we can roll the scopes over
from the electronics lab. We have a $2,000 POST
card which students can't use because it's the only
one and so expensive.  <g>

Funny thing about grant money. You have to spend it or
lose it. But if the wish list is too flashy, you don't get the
grant in the first place.

Have you tried any of those Microhouse Products?
Or those ridiculously expensive technician's diagnostic
software? I suppose we ought to get a professional
Low Level Formatter. I would like to expose students
to the advanced testing software they won't see at
CompUSA.

Regards,

John Chin