From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 20:13:23 -0400
Jack,  a couple of folks answered this question but not directly.  The
Windows code (program) fixes the allocated "resources" at 128k no matter
what.  Windows *always*  starts with 128k.  The only way to change it is to
re-write Windows to increase it or manage resources differently (which is
what they are doing with Windows XP).  Note that NT and W2k do have
resources but they are managed differently so it is *usually* not as much
of a problems as with Win 9x.

A few things that really eat up resources aside from having too many
programs open are fonts loaded at startup, bad programming, and Windows
with "tabs" for switching between windows.  The tab problem is why Eudora
has such a problem with resources.  Many Resource discussions center around
resource leaks, where a program doesn't free up the resources used before
shutting down, but resources can be depleted with too many resource hungry
applications open at the same time.  I keep the Resource meter
(rsrcmtr.exe) minimized to my tray so I can continuously monitor resources.

Doug

At 5/24/01 01:34 AM, Jack R Payton wrote:

>Well, thanks for one more piece to the "system resources" puzzle. Next,
>who or what determines the "fixed amount of ram controlled?"

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml