From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 02:04:24 -0500
From: Jose E. Dominguez Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] ABIT BE6 cmos problem?

> [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > All,
> > I bought an abit BE6 on which I ran a celeron366 at 550mhz for about 3
weeks.
> >  I tried overclocking further w/ no luck, and at one point I ended up
> > clearing the cmos with the jumper (all cpu settings are done through the
> > softmenu option in the bios so no jumpers there).  After clearing the
cmos I
> > got a "CMOS checksum error - loading default settings".  The system
hangs at
> > this message and it won't let me into the bios settings.  I tried a new
> > celeron, but no dice.  I ordered another BE6, and am shipping the other
one
> > back.  I just tried it out.  It wouldn't boot the first time, because
the
> > default cpu setting in the softmenu is 266mhz (the chip is a 366).  I
cleared
> > the cmos with the jumper and tried to reboot and am getting the same
CMOS
> > checksum error and can't get into the bios!
> >
> > Anyone ever hear of such a problem?
>
> Are you setting the jumper back to the default position afterwards? The
manual
> says that when clearing the CMOS have all power off, including the standby
5
> volt. Are you unplugging the power cable before you short the jumpers?
>
> HTH,

With Abit Soft Menu motherboards the default setting for the CPU is always
266, after installing the CPU you must immediately go into the bios and set
all of the parameters including the CPU, that is one reason they are good
motherboards for overclocking.  As stated above, the bios is supposed to be
set to the default selections before clearing the CMOS and then upon bootup
you must go back into your bios and reconfigure your bios for your CPU and
other settings.

Mary Wolden

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html