From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 07:25:32 -0800
--- John Sproule <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have the folks from Bellsouth coming by next week
> to see if they can
> install ADSL service for me.  When I called to set
> up the service call, they
> asked whether I had an open ISA slot, open PCI slot,
> or USB.  I had assumed
> that my connection would be by way of an ethernet
> card, but this makes me
> think that a USB connection might be an option.  As
> I now think about how
> I'm going to juggle IRQ's with another PCI card (I
> already have one NIC, a
> PCI sound card, an ATA-66 card, and an AGP video
> card), the idea of simply
> plugging into the USB port sounds appealing.  I'm
> only using one of the
> connectors now for a Scanner.  Does anyone know of
> any advantages or
> disadvantages to choosing a USB connection over an
> ethernet connection for
> ADSL (assuming I'm given a choice)?

     Yes, most likely they are using an Ethernet to
USB adapter, it is very easy to set up and use, but
there are a few disadvantages. The first is speed, USB
is I believe 1Mbps, ADSL supports speeds up to 2Mbps
(at least in my area), so you will be limiting
yourself there. However, one RARELY reaches those top
speeds so it is probably not an issue. This problem
will be more prevailent if you are using high
bandwidth products at the same time on the same USB
port, for example if you scan a huge image it might
temporarily slow your max downloading speed from the
internet (and vice versa, your scanner may transfer
slower). The other aspect is cost, they will probably
charge more to install the adapter since on average it
costs more, however they might wave the extra cost
because of speed savings on installation by the tech
(they would just plug it in, no case opening). The
last disadvantage is OS compatibility, win98 is about
the only OS out there that supports USB with any
success (win95B does technically but rarely works,
never mind well). AFAIK Linux does not have support
yet, nor does winNT (although 2000 will). This may be
a non issue for you if all you plan to do is run
win98. Hope this helped, TTYL
http://im.yahoo.com

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org