From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 12:12:43 +1000
Anna wrote:
>The services settings are probably in the registry, but I've not looked
>for them yet and I wouldn't guarantee it.>>

You are right Anna. I've since located the registry section at :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services.

Exporting and replacing that section and rebooting  does the trick of
backing up and restoring your Service settings.

Using ERU is an option, but is overkill for just saving Service settings.
Restoring the entire registry may, as you point out, have unwanted side
effects, although it's an excellent way to restore sagging performance in
general and will fix many glitches. I much prefer it to System Restore, as
it's far more efficient than any registry cleaner can possibly be.

And, no, ERU doesn't leave remnants of old uninstalled progs behind, as ERU
completely replaces the entire registry.

On the other hand, simply backing up the registry manually to a .reg file
is NOT a good way to backup the registry for general purposes. Restoring a
.reg file simply merges or combines the contents of the .reg file into the
existing registry, so that you end up with more, not less.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com