From:
Douglas Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:53:46 -0400
You can't directly "split" the cable connection.  By far
the easiest way to go is to get a 4 port router (Linksys at
Amazon is $60).  Their instructions make the connection
quick and easy.  The only complication is that the cable
modem may be connected to the desktop PC using the USB port
instead of an ethernet connection.  If it is already using
ethernet, connection should be easy and straight forward.
 Almost all laptops now days come with an ethernet port
built in.  Mostly all that you would need to do is run the
wire between the machines and router and then enter the
provided settings that are in the router manual into each
machine.  If running wires is a problem, then there are
"wireless" routers that usually are sold as a kit for more
money.  You can read up on home networking and sharing your
cable connection at:

http://www.wown.com

Doug

At 10/6/2002 06:01 PM, Linda Wells wrote:

I have a desk top computer hooked up to a cable connection.
I have five children that use this computer, just recently
I bought myself a
laptop computer so that I can get some time on the computer
while my children
use the desktop. The problem is I put a splitter on the
phone line so I could
access the internet but after being on the cable connection
for two years I
find the phone line very slow. Is there a way that I can
hook up to the
desktop cable connection with a splitter?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml