From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:42:56 -0500
> I have a friend that's got 4 DeskPros and a ProLiant server at work
> running NetWare and they all have PCI 10/100 NICs. He was complaining
> that it felt slow. I noticed that the hub was a plain hub so my question
> is, will replacing the hub with a 10/100 hub speed things up? Is there
> any software involved in making this faster?

        Yes, a 10/100 or simply a 100 hub will certainly make network intensive
actions much faster, assumming the server can handle it. There should be no
software change at all. However, this applies on two very important things,
first and foremost, make sure each card can go 100, one 10 could riun it
all, and more importantly, check what kind of cable you've got. 10BaseT will
work on CAT3, 100 will not. Check to ensure all cable involved is CAT5, if
you find a segment that is not, replace it. (BTW if you aren't sure, check
on the outside of the cable, it is usually marked whether it is CAT3 or
CAT5) Good luck. TTYL

                                  -----