From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:53:17 -0800
On 26 Jun 98 at 9:05, Ridwan wrote:

> I run linux (RH5) on 386DX-40, 16MB RAM with 520MB harddrive. I use it as a
> router for internet connection in a home network. The number of maximum
> users is only 4. I plan to add some more computers (about 2 or 3, maybe).
> It seems that my linuxbox have to be upgraded too.

  This seems to be a popular use for 386DX boxes running Linux or
FreeBSD.  If all you're using it for is a router/proxy/gateway, you
probably don't even need to upgrade.

> What is the best upgrade for that box? Add some more RAMs, CPU upgrade, or a
> whole big upgrade?
> Is a system with 486DX4-75 or 100Mhz with 32MB RAM and some more drive space
> enough for linux as a proxy server?

  Faster CPU and more RAM and more hard drive are all good, and
should be pretty inexpensive.  But unless this will be a caching
proxy, odds are good that the speed of your network connection is
the limiting factor, and speeding up this machine might not have much
visible effect.  [You haven't said what the network connection looks
like.  If you've got a T1, never mind, but I think this should apply
to modem connections and probably also ISDN.]

David G