From:
Michael Wosnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:50:42 -0800
I am really only worried about HAL-type things and the "swamp" as you have described it. I purchased a stand alone version of Win 7 before I knew that I was going to have a dead computer, so I could install a full retail version on a brand new drive that I would place into the temporary machine and then move that drive over to the new machine when it arrives. That means I would not use the OEM version of Win 7 that was supplied on the new machine (or on the temporary one, for that matter). Not sure what I would do with it, but I have more than enough OS systems than computers :)

But from the advice I am receiving, and from my own supplementary research, it is looking increasingly like I would have to do a re-install of Win 7 on the new machine in order to have it all function normally.

Then I would have to decide if I could take a chance with a re-install "in place" to try and save my settings/programs or bite the bullet and do a full re-install and start from scratch.

I think I am leaning to the latter - just seems cleaner and any other shortcut sounds like it is asking for trouble sooner or later.

Michael