From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:57:24 -0500
Hi,

Did you load all the drivers for the main board, after installing XP?  Did
you use xp orginal, Sp1a, or Sp2 to do the intall?

Did you check the back ports - maybe they are USB2 and the front are USB1.1?
Some cases were like that for a while, the connection to the main board was
only 1.1 and not 2.0 compliant.

If that is the case, you could try adding a front bay USB device that is USB
2.0 compliant.

Thanks,

Joe
============================
I have an HP 367c with a 3.0 P4 on an Asus P4CD-LA motherboard. I did a low
level format to remove all the HP stuff and loaded a fresh install of XP
Pro. (completely updated at Windows Update) It has an Intel 865 chipset
family and the I/O controller is an 82801EB/ER  (Ich5/Ich5R). I bought a HP
dc 5000 DVD movie writer to transfer some old VCR movies to DVD's. When the
movie writer starts up it reports that it is connected to USB 1.1 and will
work but it would be a lot better if it was attached to a USB 2.0 port. The
sticker on the front of the computer says that it has high speed USB 2.0
ports so in its former life with all the HP junk I presume it was. I guess I
somehow lost the 2.0 when I installed XP. Under device manager under
Universal Serial Bus Controllers there is one entry that seems to mention
2.0 It reads "IntelR 82801EB UBS2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD" There
also is four universal host controllers and four USB root hubs listed. I've
done some research and it seems that if there is a mention of the word
"enhanced" there should be 2.0 but it doesn't seem to be true here. Anybody
have any ideas of something I can try? I'd hate to go into 2005 without any
high speed USB ports.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>