Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:27:22 +1100
This is my test result today:

1) with a replacement A7V, I can place RAM in any slot. This proved that my
first A7V was broken.

2) I tested all A7V board I can get hand on (3 of them), all shows incorrect
amount in PC Probe DMI explorer (DIMM1 128M, DIMM2/3 64M), regardless which
brand of RAM I tested, or which OS I tested (win98/ME/win2k). But as I said,
else where (include PC Probe info page) show correct amount of RAM, and
system has no stability problem - all passed hard stability test (if any RAM
is bad, the test will crash). *I use same brand pair of RAM. Anyone has any
idea? or It's just PC Probe.

3) This is response to Frank. back to old days, RAM sticks usually had to be
installed from slot 1 (as Rick said), new mobo solved the problem, you can
use any slot you want, they should work. Only if you are talking about
"all-in-one" mobo (almost every single one of them), then you have to fill
RAM slot 1, otherwise the integrated video won't get "shared memory",
therefore, you won't get post. However, as you and Rick said, the best way
to install RAM is still start from slot 1, I noticed tiny difference between
different location of RAM. I did check all RAM related setting in BIOS, and
as you may know A7V supports upto 1.5G of RAM.

4) In additional, if someone is interested: each A7V is different from
other, eg my first A7V gave 1.77v core voltage when I set Vcore to 1.7v (by
jumper), the new replacement A7V gives 1.744v (I spotted this voltage
difference since first A7V on market). don't ask me why, but it seems like
A7V is perfectly designed for overclocking. These readings are reported by
PC Probe, in BIOS, it shows whatever the jumper setting (1.7 shows 1.7,
...). Strange, isn't it? But, it appears like PC Probe is right at some
point, I was able to overclock to 850 before (from 650), now with new A7V
(same setting), I can only get 800mhz (I will need rise 0.05v core voltage
again to make 850mhz stable, that will bring me heat problem).

Jun Qian