From:
John Farrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:53:34 -0700
Hello,
recently purchased a new system (Progen Polaris 333MHZ w/Maxtor 6.4 hard
drive).  I then added a new IBM 8.4 Deskstar and copied everything from the
Maxtor to Deskstar with the Ghost program. I did this with the intention of
making the Deststar the Master and the Maxtor the slave.

The problem I have.....occasionally the system locks up and I must  use a
hard reboot to restart.
Scandisk tries to run because of the improper shut-down(this is standard, I
believe) ....BUT...Scandisk states that it is unable to run because it
cannot read the last sector of the Deskstar and that if I continue,
I could do damage to the drive.

When I first installed the Deskstar, I used the stardard jumper
configuration and the default as shipped was "16 heads".  Later I noticed
the original Maxtor was "15 heads".  Could this be my problem?  And if so,
if I simply move the jumper to make it a 15 head drive,  will I need to
reformat the drive?

The CMOS correctly identifies the drive with the full capacity and I can see
no other option to set there.  I wonder what determines if one should use 15
heads or 16 heads?  Is there normally a clue in the CMOS that tells you?

Anyone have a solution, hopefully???

John Farrow
Cloudcroft, New Mexico