From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 01:55:34 -0400
Hi Lew,

First make sure that your settings are correct for System Restore, that it
is enabled and that you have enough space.
One thing that is often overlooked, is to make sure that you close down most
programs
especially the ones that may be running in the background ,like Indexing ,AV
scanning or Defragging
or maybe even the Comodo Time Machine.

You're trying to take a "snapshot' of the system ,but are maybe making it
difficult with all kinds of stuff
running in the background. So the less that is active ,the easier it'll be
to take that snaphot.

You don't have to delete System Restore ,nor would I recommend that ,but you
can disable it.
Just un-tick the drive being monitored. (Under settings)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/81500-system-restore-enable-disable.html
Also make sure that the Volume Shadow Service is running  (VSS) - check in
Services)

One reason to lose Restore Points is if you're dual booting with XP.
Another one is an infection of malware or virus. Several are known to affect
System Restore.
Symptoms are: disabled System Restore, losing Restore Points or SR not even
showing up.

Also check the Action panel for any warnings ,alerts or discrepancies.
You should have several Restore Points with all the updates coming down the
pipe.
Windows always sets Restore Points for Windows Updates installs.

HTH,
Peter E.