From:
Brad Boutwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:00:19 -0500
 get a SCUZZY drive if possible as ther are faster...plus you can
attach a Scanner to it.

*************

Not to be confrontational, but SCSI hard drives no longer provide the huge
performance gain over EIDE drives that they once did.  A 7200 RPM EIDE drive
is almost on par with most SCSI drives (10,000 RPM drives excluded).  Add in
the fact that you can get a 27 GB EIDE drive for less than you can get an 18
GB SCSI drive and it makes the choice even more obvious for the budget
minded.  You would also have to purchase a SCSI card or a MB with built-in
SCSI which will cost anywhere from $60 up, and you do NOT want a cheap
controller running your system (a zip drive, maybe, but not your HD). The
bottom-of-the-line cards don't even offer you that external port for the
scanner mentioned above...

I picked up a 20 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor drive at CompUSA for I think $280, which
is a steal.  You can get a smaller size for less money of course.

The most important thing here, as mentioned by others, is how much RAM you
have.  For graphic work, I would recommend a minimum of 128 of you can
afford it, because it is the most called-upon resource by graphic
applications, with your CPU being second.

Brad Boutwell

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html