From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:38:37 -0500
I've seen other answers...
From your description, the computer seems to work sometimes,
or at least in safemode.
Start Safemode and see what MONITOR is selected and/or installed.

To get more than 640x480 and 16 colors, you need two things.
One of them is a monitor that is "multi-sync".

If the monitor will not support higher screen resolutions you will
never get them, even with a very good video card.

After you select your proper monitor, or the default one,
try installing the MS SVGA drivers for the video adapter.
These will generally work with ANY card and will help
you see if the monitor is the main problem.
Note that this is for diagnostic use only. All the advanced features
and settings of your "real" card driver will be gone for now...

(All the above assumes there are no underlying hardware
failures or problems.)

                   Rick Glazier