From:
"Fooks, PhillipX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:11:23 -0700
I believe that is a software tool called speedstep that Intel has come
up with to conserve power. It controls the processor speed to what the
processing requirements are at the time or if the laptop is operating on
battery or ac.

Mobile Intel(r) Pentium(r) III processors with Intel SpeedStep(r)
technology let you customize high performance computing on your mobile
PC. When the notebook computer is connected to the AC outlet, the new
mobile PC runs the most complex business and Internet applications with
speed virtually identical to a desktop system. When powered by a
battery, the processor drops to a lower frequency (by changing the bus
ratios) and voltage, conserving battery life while maintaining a high
level of performance. Manual override lets you boost the frequency back
to the high frequency when on battery, allowing you to customize
performance.

Go to this link to read more and check if your system has the driver
loaded.

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pentiumiii/sb/cs-0075
09.htm

Philip Fooks,
SIEMENS Business Services Inc.
IT Custom Support, Intel Corp. Dupont, WA.
(800) 628-3167 Pager
(253) 371-8003 Desk
(253) 371-9036 FAX