From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:29:40 -0400
My only experience is anecdotal, not rigorous testing.
I do remember that Norton version 5 took a real hit
when I disabled eternal (L2) cache.  It hit bottom if
I disabled internal cache.  Subjective opinion?  L2 cache
helps on a 486DX33.  However, the point about right-thru
versus write-back cache is on target.  The older right-thru
internal cache is more of a penalty than external cache.
An AMD 486DX2/80 with right-back cache almost paces a DX2/100
with right-thru in benchmarks, and in real life, I prefered my
DX2/80 to my coworkers 100s.  I had some write-thru 80s and they
felt during real usage to be no better than my Cyrix DX2/66.
AMD's are marked -SB for write-back and -VT for write-thru if
I remember right.  As for cpu speed having an impact on cache,
I had to remove several defective COAST (cache on a stick) modules
from AMD586DX/133 computers and performance loss was noticable, so I
don't think high cpu speed makes L2 cache less important.

You probably have a 5 volt board since all 33's were 5 volt.  I can't
remember if Intel had a 5 volt 100, but all the write-back cpus
were 3.45 or 3.3 volt.  These are generally interchangable if your
board supports one or the other.

By the way, you may not like the results you get.  But if
you persist, I did have a 486DX2/66 with 32meg ram and an ISA SCSI card
with an 8 bit SCSI (50 pin connection) Seagate drive (because the
IDE bios was so old it didn't support newer faster ide drives) and the
performance was good enough to use for almost a year. I use a Pentium 120
now
for the same dedicated unattended application.