From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:47:47 -0500
The company I work for bought a bunch of Quantums when they were
replacing all their 400-800MB Western Digitals with 1+GB drives.  Most
of the Quantums were dead within a year.  Most of the replaced WD drives
are still running at an age of 4-5 years in other machines.
Personnally, I've never had a Western Digital drive fail on me.  They
were eventually replaced because they were too small.

Realistically, most manufacturers have gone through spells of some sort
of problem.  Seagates had a lot of problems with stiction a few years
ago.  Western Digital more recently had a controller problem and had to
recall a bunch of drives.  Maxtor was a slower drive than anyone for
many years when they first started out.  Anyone can find a reason not to
like a particular drive.