From:
Sue Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 03:01:57 -0400
Hi Lewis,

I can almost guarantee the culprit is Spybot Search and Destroy's
TeaTimer function. It seems to affect Win98SE and ME.
Supposedly the memory leak had been fixed in their lastest beta,
but I found it not to be so.
To disable TeaTimer (you don't really need it...it just monitors
registry changes and lets you allow and disallow it....other programs
will do the same, without the leakage), open Spybot in advanced
mode, choose the "Tools" tab, and click on "Resident." Here you will
see the two programs checked (SD Helper and TeaTimer). Uncheck
TeaTimer (SD Helper is okay to leave on) and exit the program.
Reboot the computer to get rid of any traces of the "leak" from
TeaTimer, and you should be all set.
Hope this helps. By the way, due to the difference in memory
handling with XP, it doesn't seem to affect it with that operating
system.

Sue Clark
Bristol, ME

On 4 Apr 2005 at 18:01, Lewis C Emerson wrote:

> Folks,
>
> On various occasions I get a message that makes absolutely no sense to
> me, but wonder if it's a warning of some kind.  When I try to do
> something - like preparing to run a program I get this:
>       There is not enough memory to run this program.  Quit one or
>       more
> programs and then try again.
> I'm using Windows Me, have 256 Mb RAM memory, with Norton's A-V,
> SpyBot, AdAware, and ZoneAlarm all up and running.  As far as I know,
> nothing is running at the time I get this message - at least nothing
> is showing along the bottom of the screen  (Is this called the System
> Tray?).
>
> The only way to stop this (temporarily) is to reboot from scratch.
> It's an aggravation and not a real problem for me, but it does make me
> wonder if it has anything to do with my on-going problem with computer
> lock-ups.
>
> Can there be something running in the background without any
> indication showing?
>
> Many thanks for suggestions,
>
> Lewis Emerson

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: