From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:15:48 -0700
It has been common amongst academic Computer Science folks -- especially
in Europe, I think -- to refer to both as "storage", sometimes
differentiating between "primary storage" (memory, RAM) and "secondary
storage" (file system, page file, resident on a device from which it
must be copied into memory to be used).
  I'm not sure that this usage has become common amongst end users on
either side of the Atlantic.

  There is also the issue that storage sizes quoted by drive
manufacturers tend to be decimal (mega = 10^9,
giga = 10^12) while those reported by the OS tend to be binary
(mega=2^20, giga=2^30) and system manufacturers might use either.  The
same drive or file will sound a bit bigger n the decimal units than in
binary, and so it may be that the claimed size of the drive when the
system was sold is bigger than the actual size reported by the OS.

David Gillett