From:
Richard Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:27:52 +0100
on 16. Jul 98 Jim Cook wrote
>Hello,I am in the process of buying my first recordable CD ROM drive.  I
am
>confused about a couple of things that maybe some of you could help me
with.
>I have found Rewriteable CD ROM disks at a wholesale store in a 3 pack for
>about $10 each.  Everywhere else I have looked they have been about $20.
>The label on the package says 2X.  I assume this means the CD will write
>the disk at 2X speed.  Now, if i take this CD that I just wrote to, and
put
>it in my 24X CD ROM drive, will it read at 24X, 2X or will it read it at
all

The 2x means that is the maximum speed you can safely record to the CD-RW
(In how far it's
true is something else) after it's recorded and you put it in a normal
CD-ROM Drive the Drive will
attempt to read it with maximum speed (In this case 24X, or actually around
12X in average).
If it fails, it will notch the speed down until it CAN read it.This applies
to any CD, not just a CD-RW.
With some older CD-Drives you might have problems reading CD-RWs at all, so
I'd ask the dealer
if you can test a CD-RW in your CD-ROM drive.

Muddlin' through

Rick Swartz