From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:01:03 -0800
Ian,

Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure I am making headway. See my comments
below to your suggestions.

You're beginning to understand how I was feeling trying to match the cables
with the motherboard info (BTW, it is an FIC AZ-11E)

> There are a couple of different layouts for USB pins - I think
> you have the
> type that I'm familiar with, which goes as follows:

I've checked several sites on the internet, but they never seem to have thes
same type of arrangement the mb manual seems to indicate for my situation. I
am trying to compare the mb manual with the marked case pin arrangement.

> Looking at the mobo with the USB pins on the end nearest you and the CPU
> furthest away, you're looking at two rows of pins.  The row
> nearest you has
> 4 pins, the upper row has 5, with the extra pin to the right

With the CPU away from me and the USB port closest to me, the two rows are
laid out with 4 pins in the front and 5 in the back. The extra pin is in the
second row left. Marked in the motherboard manual as:

<-------------Back of case-------------

------------------CPU------------------

(USB connection - the "5th pin is marked as GND in the manual)
"5th pin"  SBD3+   SVCC1   SBD2+   SGND1
"No Pin    SBD3-   SVCC1   SBD2-   SGND1

-------------"Bottom" of motherboard----
-------------Front of case------------->

> The 'hot' pins are the two on your left, ie the leftmost of each
> of the two
> rows.

Would these be marked SBD3+ and SBD3- in the diagram above? That does seem
to me, (but then I'm confused) to correspond to two "hot" pins. Wouldn't the
hot pins be marked with + on the motherboard and cable?

> The VCC end of each plug is the 'hot' lead.

The pins marked SVCC1 are located on separate rows, 3rd pin from the right.

> The fourth pin FROM the left, in each row, takes the separated
> ground plugs,
> I don't think it matters which one goes in which row.
> Damned if I know what the extra 5th pin in the upper row does -
> it's marked
> in the manual as 'USB' 'Over' 'Current'.  Someone here might know.

The extra pins just connect to the same ground and then to the "outside"
edge of the USB receptacles.

> This setup is common on Gigabyte 7VKML and 7VKMLS mobos.  But
> some versions
> have a different layout - the top row has one pin at the left, then a gap,
> then three pins.
>
> The lower row, nearest you, has the three pins to the left, then
> a gap, then
> a single pin - in other words, the reverse of the upper row.
>
> In each group of three pins, the 'hot' pin is the outermost, the separate
> one the ground.
>
> If you can't understand my description, mail me and I'll send you a coupla
> photos ffom the manual.

> Ian Porter

I guess what might help is a description of a USB plug. The case plug seems
to have a VCC at the end of each of two 4-pin plugs. The other end is marked
GND (ground). The inner two pins are marked USB1+ and - on one plug and
USB2+ and - on the other.

The motherboard has (what I think are the same as USB 1 and 2 on the plug)
SBD2- and SBD3- on one row of pins and SB3+ and SB2+ on the other row. With
the reversal of the + and - designation between the plug and motherboard
pins gives me pause. I don't want to connect the power to the wrong pins.

Thanks,

Jim

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com