From:
Les Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:16:49 -0500
Thanks Joseph & Peter,

I'm afraid I wasn't clear. I am using XP Home. When my computer freezes all
I see is a rotating hourglass. The only action I can take is to open the
Task Mgr. but this does not show a 'not responding' or other msg. On the
rare occasion I do get a window saying do you want to end this program
clicking on 'yes' closes the window and we go back to the turning hourglass.
I do this several times in a row and finally get frustrated enough to hit
the power switch. I think I am missing something simple here. You are
correct - the OS is not freezing but I don't seem to be able to back out of
the frozen program. And first I have to identify it.

Thanks,
Les Barnes
  Hi,
    It sounds like you are running Win95, 98 or ME and when the program
crashes, it is freezing the whole operating system, so you have no recourse
but cycling the power switch.
    Windows NT, 2000, and XP have better seperation between the OS and
programs (the operating systems memory range is better protected against
being overwritten, and thus being corrupted [frozen] by a crashing program).
If a program freezes, the OS does NOT freeze and still functions, so you can
shut down the frozen program, then restart it.

  HTH,
  Peter Hogan