From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 00:10:06 -0500
Gary,
Hughes DirecTV satelite downlink receivers come with a device that plugs
into a two-contact port on the receiver.  On the other end of the of the
wire is a small LED that you stick to the IR pickup on the front of the VCR
with provided double-stick tape.  You put the receiver into training mode
and by using the receiver's remote control enter the correct VCR model code
into the receiver.  Then, you program the receiver as to which programs you
want to record and the receiver turns itself on, emits a signal to the LED
to turn on the VCR and turn on record.

There are many companies that make control cards that insert into PC
expansion slots for a wide variety of data access/control applications.
There may be one that can illuminate an LED in a similar fashion.  I'm
sorry, but I don't know of any specific conpany to look at.  You might use
search engines using keywords: PC control board .

Good luck,
Jerry Rasmussen
Rasmussen & Bucklin Associates
Coral Springs, FL
Phone: (954)345-9129; FAX: (954)345-7889
=====================================

On Behalf Of Gary Perkins
The VCR is a 12 to 18 month old Panasonic (not digital).

The 'cable box' from TCI is digital.

The 2 are not compatible as far as recording channel control (local channel
codes vs universal channel codes), which must be done by changing the
channel on the cable box.  At least as far as I can learn from TCI.

So, if I can setup the computer to control the changing of the channel on
the cable box, turning the VCR on, and starting the recording
process.................!  Piece of cake.

Now, if I just knew what 'G' codes were?

Gary Perkins wrote:

> Good morning all,
>
> I want to control my VCR programming via my computer (program scheduling,
> on-off-record, etc.).
>
> Computer is hooked-up to TCI cable (att@home) and the TV cable service is
> also TCI (digital), while my VCR is not digital thus a problem recording.
>
> I'm looking for 'how-to' information sources, if it's possible at all.
>
> Thanks to all,
> Gary

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html