From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:57:35 -0500
Well, I'm sure there is a way, if you look hard enough,
hack the OS, etc...
But I'm not really sure it is such a good idea to try...

That is (at least on my system) where my USB storage devices are listed.

Since a storage device might be in the middle of reading or writing a file,
or the file system might not have flushed all data from the caches to disk,
a "rude" and unexpected disconnect of the device could easily cause data
loss or worse, data corruption...

When you ask the OS (by using this icon) to shut a device down, it performs
the necessary "clean-up" and shut down operations that would be very similar
in nature as when you give the "similar type" command to shut down your
entire computer. This icon just prepares the one device to shut down gracefully...

While getting rid of the icon may do no harm at all, the idea behind it and
how it is supposed to be used is very important in most cases...

(I don't think yours is working correctly, but that is a problem for another time,
and a difficult one at that...)

Hope this helps...                                     Rick Glazier