From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 07:03:49 -0400
I finally got over to his place and re-set the modem, which immediately
corrected the problem.
Sometimes it's the simplest stuff...
Thanks for the help.

I believe what you are missing, is the router.  Comcast uses both the Modem
and the NIC information on the account for access.  If you take the nic out
of the old and place in the new ( if a card and not on board) it will
probably work at his home.

When you went through your router, it handled the nic addressing that
comcast was looking for to match with the modem at your location

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
System is a Dell P4, 2-3 years old, upgraded to XP Home from ME.
When I first saw this sytem, it was connected to Comcast via USB Cable and
worked fine.
The owner died and the widow gave it to me. I immediately gave it to a
friend of mine with Comcast and an older computer.
He couldn't connect to Comcast with it after installing an ethernet card
("Can't Renew IP address"). He also noticed the PS Fan was not running.
I brought it to my place, replaced the fan and reinstalled XP. It connected
to the internet via my router with no problem.
Mu friend has it now, and it won't connect (Page not found). We've tried
deleting the old connection, running the new connection wizard and the
Comcast install disk, all to no avail. His old computer connects fine with
the same modem and cable.
What am I missing here?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com