From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:07:01 -0700
Hi Al,

You need to make sure the new motherboard uses the same package type, and
supports the speed of the processor. The P4 comes in two types, the socket
478, and the newer 775 LGA. These two are completely different. Yours is
most likely socket 478, the 775 has only been around a year or so.

Most motherboard vendors will list compatible processors on their web sites.

Russ Poffenberger

At 12:36 PM 4/26/2005, you wrote:
>I have to replace my motherboard which has a PENTIUM 4 at 2.8Ghz.
>Will it go into ANY board using a P4, what about a MB with P3?
>Do all P4's take the same socket, and P3's their own socket ??
>Many thanks to all,    AL SMITH

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com