From:
Michael Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 20:13:03 EDT
Hi Jal!

    I think your missing a great chance for even a greater CPU upgrade!

    You can get a K6-2 400Mhz or better yet, a K6-III 400Mhz to run on your
board with no more effort than a new fan/heatsink and a possible download.
Although both CPU's were designed for 100Mhz FBS, AMD knew it had an upgrade
market for the processor with various vendors. AMD quietly made the x2
multiplier pin setting run at x6 on all "sharptooth" CPU's.
Since both K6-2 and K6-III 400's run voltages of either 2.2v or 2.4v, your
motherboard will easily support both.

    And another "bonus" is by running a lower FBS, both processors can be
slightly "overclocked" to 450Mhz with no thermal strain on the unit. Just move
it up to the 75Mhz FBS and off you go!

    Make sure the fan/heatsink is for the new K6-2/III. Even at 400Mhz these
later units run "warmer" than the K6-233 you've been using. A little heatsink
compound isn't a bad idea either.

    And for others out there who's BIOS doesn't support 3D Now! or the
K6-III's L2 cache, you can download Powerleap's Control Panel, place a
shortcut in your StartUp, and its up and running every time you start.

http://www.powerleap.com/CCP.htm

    If you have any more questions, e-mail me...

    Max

Hello all,
I would like to upgrade my AMD K6-233 mhz processor to an AMD K62-300 one.
But I am not sure if my mobo could handle the core voltage on it.  I went to
Fry's electronics and found out that it requires a 1.8 core voltage, while my
mobo has an auto option for detecting the core voltage of a cpu.  It also has
fix ranges of voltage from 2.1 to 3.5 volts.  I wonder if the auto option can
be used for voltages lower than 2.1.  Another thing I would like to know is if
my mobo can take advantage of the features of the K62 as compared to the K6
even though it is not a super seven mobo.  I am sure though that it can handle
the K6-300. The K62-266 mhz processor is also another option since my mobo can
handle its core voltage, bus speed and multiplier requirements.  My mobo is an
A-Trend 5030 with bios version 10.03 GS.

Could you please advise me as to w
hich processor would be the best for an upgrade here?  Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. . .

Jal Montero

                     visit our download web page at: