From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 16:17:27 -0400
On Saturday 11 May 2002 09:40 am, you wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Many PC have auto shut down built into the CMOS if the system
> > get too hot.
>
> I can understand the heat problem. What I can't understand is that the
> machine had just booted and the machine switched off. The case was not
> covered at the time as I was swapping HDD's between one PC and another and
> trying out different things settings and basically making things a little
> sweeter.
>
> > The noise you hear from the the PSU is most likely the
> > bearings or sleve
> > going out in the PSU fan.
>
> Will this have an effect on the heat and will it cause the PC to switch off
> after only booting?
>
> > If you are a builder you can
> > replace the fan.
> > You
> > may have to snip & solder the new fan wires in if the PSU fan
> > is hardwired
> > to the the unit.
>
> Mmmm ..... Thanks .... At this point I'd rather take the machine in. I'm
> comfortable with most work inside a PC, but this is one area I'm not
> comfortable with.
>
> > You could also replace the PSU. I dont know
> > what MHZ you
> > system is but you may want to look at a small CPU cooler for
> > the processor.
>
> I'm running a P466 Celeron as standard (ie. not overclocked). Not sure what
> its called, but the mobo is an ASUS that had the old Slot A I think it was
> called. The Celerons at that stage used the socket, so the actual CPU sits
> on a daughter card (converter). I've never had an overheating problem
> before and it being almost Winter here in the Southern Hemisphere, there
> isn't any environmental heat.
>

> <snip>

Some motherboards (my Abit KT7 is one) will refuse to boot if the CPU
fan is not operating, if the fan speed is too low, or if the temperature
sensor is missing. The reason is that some CPU's (particularly Athlons, but
others, too) can be severely damaged in a short time (seconds, not minutes)
if the fan is not working. Check that a connector didn't come loose while you
were working inside the case. (Well, yes, now that you mention it, it did
happen to me once.)
Carroll Grigsby