From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 08:46:04 -0800
As additional information, about a year ago this group had a discussion on
how to organize multiple drives to have optimum performance. The consensus,
as I remember, resulted in two GUIDELINES (assuming the normal setup of
having the fastest and most often used hard drive being the C drive):

1) Organize the drives to have the least conflicts in communications with
the C drive.
2) Don't have two hard drives with different ADA speeds on the same channel
since the controller will normally communicate with both hard drives at the
slower speed. (Some newer controllers can recognize and use individual
speeds on the same channel.)(CD & DVD drives have a different communication
protocol from hard drives and do not affect the speed of communication with
the hard drives.)

As an example, I have two computers. One I use and I built as a relatively
high performance machine. The other is for the grandchildren when they visit
and is built from left over parts and purchased used parts. On my computer,
my IDE0 channel has my C drive (ADA 100) as the master and a DVD player as
the slave. I rarely use the DVD at the same time as the C drive. My IDE1
channel has my D drive (ADA 100) as the master and a CD-RW as the slave.
Both the D drive and the CD-RW are often used in conjunction with the C
drive. On the other computer, the IDE0 channel has the C drive (ADA 100) as
the master with no slave and the IDE1 channel has the D drive (ADA 33) as
the master and a CD-ROM as the slave.

This message is not meant to begin a new discussion on drive organization as
there are many exceptions to the previously stated GUIDELINES. The last
discussion was rather extensive.

On one machine, I had to designate cable selection to have the drives
properly recognized and ,on the other machine, the master/slave settings on
the drives as well as the channel they are on sufficed without having to
designate cable selection. I assume the individual controller BIOS
determines how it needs to be done. I use all 80/40 IDE cables since the
controller will use the added capacity to the maximum extent possible.

Tom Mayer