From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:21:58 -0600
At 08:42 AM 8/5/2002, Amy Longstreth wrote:
>Hi! I have an older Dell system...purchased in early 1998...and I've decided
>to reformat the hard drive but the "format c:" command doesn't work - says
>'bad command or file name'.  I am currently running Windows 95 but am
>planning to load Win98 after the format so I have been using the 98 boot
>disk. My drive was compressed which created a host drive, H, and a second
>drive, D, that I cannot uncompress through DriveSpace. When I try that it
>tells me there are errors on the drive that need to be fixed beforehand. When
>I run ScanDisk it doesn't find any errors. I'm so confused and eager to get
>this format done...any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Well, it seems that although you have a Win98 boot disk it only has the
basic boot files on it.   I recommend you download a complete Win98
boot disk from our website...  just download it to your hard drive and
place a disk in your floppy drive.  Execute the file and it will build you
a boot disk that will be able to format your hard drive:
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

   Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group
http://freepctech.com