From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:01:38 -0500
Hi:

I don't have all the answers, but why the heck are you trying to install
an unpartitioned 40G HDD??? I can't imagine not creating partitions for
many reasons - even if Win and Fdisk could handle 100G drives.

Why do you have ATA100 disabled?

First, I'd suggest you create a basic - DOS boot, root, OS, etc -
partition of 2-3GB. Some folks suggest that the Win swap file be
installed on a separate logical drive from the usual boot drive,
typically, c:. [Many recommend that the swap file be set up for fixed HDD
space (rather than variable) equal to about 2.5x your RAM (not specified
in your email). Whether you create a single drive for you swap file, or
merely place it on some other logical drive is up to you.]

Then, divide the rest of your 40G into chunks that coincide with your
usage needs. Maintain all your "data/personal" files on one drive, so you
can backup just one drive to preserve them.

You'll have to figure out what the heck *you* need. Logical drives
(partitions) don't hamper your computer speed, but they help in
organizing your system so you can install/uninstall, backup, etc without
having 40G of stuff on a single drive.

Maybe if you attack this problem from some logical position, you can
answer your own question.

Good luck,

Jack

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:26:23 -0500 Richard Tan <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I was wondering if you guys could help me install my Win ME. It
> freezes up in the beginning (when it's transfering the data to the
> HD at 2% in the lower left bar). I got a A7V Mobo (with 1007
> bios)and ATA100 disabled, Stealth S540 ( by Diamond 32Mb AGP 4x),
> Quantum Fireball as Primary Master IDE (40 Gb 7200 rpm), Creative
> CD-Rom as Secondary Master (52x IDE). I used FDISK (1 whole active
> partition only) and format c: /s (using Win 98 boot disk, since the
> Win ME gives no more support to format - it says so when I try...)
> as try to install the OS, it simply freezes(???).
> I've somewhere that the Windows FDISK does not support HD bigger
> than 30 Gb. Is it true?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>