From:
Brad Feuerhelm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2012 13:37:32 -0500
Hi

I don't know how much help this is going to be but I have had the same
problems as you. But my machine is a home built one. Other than that
pretty much the same setup.

I too had some problems getting my Brother to work in Win 7. Mine is a
HL-5140, I did find drivers on Brother's website but they are NOT
supported and Brother's TS said they won't work in 64 bit Win 7. But In
my case they do. I had to extract the files manually and NOT use the
setup. Went through Device Manager to install. I also had problems
because the printers are on a network and are not local to me. So that
caused a small problem but worked that out under the security tab.

As you are considering dual booting, it is a very good option. I do dual
boot, XP Ubuntu 11, Win 7. The only problem I had was XP wouldn't
recognize all my memory (8gig).
It does recognize only 2 of the 8. But that was expected. Also If you
install XP 32 bit then your hardware will only run in 32 bit since the
OS is the key factor not the hardware. I have been dual booting for
about a year now and have not had a problem yet running my Brother under
XP or Ubuntu for that matter, and actually the printers run better under
XP than Win7. So I would suggest if you have exhausted all the
possibilities under WIN 7 than I would go the dual boot route.

One more suggestion if you decide to go the dual boot way, if you have a
spare drive in the box use it for the OS. Dual booting goes smoother if
run on separate drives rather then the same drive partitioned out. The
later will of course work but I find less problems with separate drives.
I Dual boot each OS using a drive for each OS. Some may say overkill but
I have found a lot less hassles to deal with.

Anyway Good luck!!

Brad

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com