From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 14:02:32 -0600
100 meters is the maximum single run that is allowed with ethernet.  That
is, that's the standard.  You *may* get away with longer runs or you may
not, it depends upon the equipment that you use and the environment that
you're in.  For future networking, you may be able to use repeaters or look
into using fiber (admittedly, much more expensive).

Peer to peer is fine.  The key to the type of network is your own patience.
A domain-based network will allow you to maintain user lists and network
administration on one machine, meaning that you don't have to journey out to
each computer to add new users.  On the other hand, it requires a dedicated
computer.  With just four or five machines, you can use a peer type network
and simply add the appropriate users to each machine.

The layout of the computers is not particularly critical as long as you
observe the cable distance requirements.

For cabling, cat5 UTP is what you're after.  If you need to run the cabling
in crawl spaces, elevator shafts between floors, or the like, I would highly
recommend plenum cable.  It's a bit tougher and in the event of a fire,
tends to not produce such toxic fumes.  In many areas, in fact, it is
required in those circumstances.  Obviously it has the drawback of being
more expensive.

You have a special situation, I think, in that your offices are so far
apart.  You're probably going to need some extra hardware to bridge the gap
between them.  It might not be a bad idea to call in a local consultant to
get an opinion on how to make the runs and what equipment to buy.

Drew Dunn