From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:13:01 -0500
Jim, it sounds like you are suffering from the Windows 98 SE shutdown
problem that plagued MS for a while.  They have since issued a shutdown
supplement that corrects the problem.  You can use the Windows Update icon
in 98 to get the supplement, or go to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeat
ured/Win98SE/Default.asp

If the URL gets cut, my apologies....please reassemble to get to the page
or start out at http://www.microsoft.com/windows98.

>I have an interesting problem that crops up from time to time. When I
>shutdown the system (start-shutdown-shutdown computer), the computer will
>hang on a green screen with a yellowish line about 1/3 down the screen
>spanning the width of the screen. I built the system two weeks ago and the
>only program installed onto the machine is Simply Accounting ver 7.0 System
>particulars are:
>Win98 SE
>Intel Celeron 400Mhz
>1st Mainboard ATX MoBo
>S3 3D/2X Video Card
>Yamaha XG Sound Card
>Smartlink V.90 56K Modem
>Standard PS/2 keyboard & mouse
>There are no other programs running at shutdown and I have Antivirus detect
>turned off in the BIOS.
>I'm wondering if perhaps there may be a corrupt sound file (the microsoft
>sound), or maybe the problem could be with the video adapter itself? any
>thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated!
>Thanks, Jim.

Eric

                            The NOSPIN Group