From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:46:57 -0700
When NT first boots up it will pause for a set period of time at a
selection screen

"Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"
Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00[VGAmode]"

choose VGA mode with the arrow keys. This is NT4's safe mode which is used
to troubleshoot video problems. This boot will ignore all video drivers and
only load NT4 SVGA drivers at 640X480 16 colors. Once you boot to the
desktop you should then be able to change the driver.

If you don't see the selection screen it is because someone has set the
pause to 0. If this is the case then go control panel ...System
Properties.....Startup/Shutdown tab and set the <Show list for 5 seconds>.
You may need administrative privileges but then you need them to do what
your attempting to do so I assume you have them....or at the least power
users privileges.

If after booting to VGA mode you are still unable to adjust drivers then
shut down put your old card back in the exact PCI slot, boot up and remove
it correctly. Shut down and then boot up clean with a new card installed.

  If this still doesn't work (very unlikely) something got corrupted and
you may have to manually remove the video drivers and any references to
them within the registry. You may have to use your Emergency Disk to
restore files to their original condition  but ONLY do this if everything
else fails because you will loose a lot of settings ....particularly if you
haven't updated it recently. Almost every time I have done this I have just
found it easier to start over from scratch.

Mark Rode
The NoSpin Group

>missed the key statement of my message....or perhaps I did
>not explain myself well enough.    I CANNOT bring up the
>display properties.   I can right click on the desktop and
>get the menu, but clicking on properties does nothing except
>bring up an error message that says "Error loading driver".
>Kay McCoy

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html